Signage is any form of graphics which is created to display information to a particular audience. Usually it is way finding information on streets, outside and inside of buildings. A pictogram is referred to as the image used to convey the message of the sign. The statutory signage pictograms follow a very specific set of color, shape and size restriction. A signage must be instantly recognizable and understood by all. The image needs to be consistent and the pictogram on a sign should be understood even if there is no text present.
Types of Signage
- The street signage: Here the signs are stamped out of metal with lettering embossed or printed. The lettering can also be embossed or printed at the same time.
- The neon signage: This is more commonly referred to the use of electric lighting
- The modular signage: This signage system consists of pre designed elementary units.
- Custom made signage: These are specially designed from scratch to suit a specific requirement presented by a client or a specific project.
- MCFT or Modular Curved Frame Technology: This is a contemporary fusion between custom-made signage and modular sign systems. It works as a combination of both.
The Use of shapes in signage
The signs used in signage should have very specific shapes. The following shapes on signs convey messages to the audience. They form a set of rules that should be followed when developing signage. Different parts of the world have different shapes which they use. Squares signs portray a certain set of information to an audience. Usually safe condition signs, public information signs, and fire equipment signs are in square form. These signs provide messages and information to a particular audience. They normally give similar information related to a particular form. The circular sign is usually used to show an instruction that must be followed. It reflects that it is mandatory. The prohibition signs provide instructions that cannot be ignored and are to be seriously taken. The triangle is also known as the warning sign.
Other ways to use Signage
Commercial signage is used for a business or similar entity. Its main purpose is to assist in way finding and attracts customers. In areas where literacy is not widespread these signs are necessarily primarily based on images rather than words. Here the logo is used as a sign. The name of the business in the form of a logo is used in addition to and in the place of words.
* Sign frame: This is a relatively new method in the signage industry. A frame can accept many types of sign substrates. The benefit of a sign frame is that the graphics can be easily updated without replacing the whole sign. They are usually used in modular signage systems. Sign frame is a basic feature of Modular Curved Frame Technology.
* Implementing your brand or product- This refers to brand identity across visual identity carriers through signage, uniforms and branded merchandise. Architecture, product design, industrial design, quantity surveying, engineering, procurement and project management, etc are a part of the signage.